Location: Tampa, Florida US
Job Number: 1685
Position Title: Grossing Technologist
The Grossing Technologist is responsible for ensuring quality, consistency, and efficiency of specimen grossing of predominantly small biopsies and cervical LEEP specimens. A successful candidate will perform all technical aspects of accessioning, dissecting and dictating surgical specimens. Technicians must expand their knowledge of the disease process to master specimens of increasing complexity. At least one (1) to two (2) years’ recent experience performing gross exam is preferred. The hours are 10:00 am-6:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Receive and verify patient information on all paperwork & specimen containers for accuracy.
- Accurately accessions all cases into the Laboratory Information System, prints bar-coded tissue cassettes, updates and edits histology trim sheet in Laboratory Information System.
- Performs all technical aspects of grossing and dictating surgical specimens using a variety of laboratory materials and equipment which includes small biopsies and cervical LEEP specimens.
- Maintains cassettes accuracy, slide filing, laboratory records, pathology equipment and logs.
- Communicates effectively with and takes direction from Pathologists.
- Maintains supplies and overall cleanliness of gross room.
- Assist in the tissue processing area.
- Assist in the pathology reception area.
- Assist with laboratory accreditation inspection preparations.
- Follow all health and safety regulations when handling laboratory specimens
- Comply with chemical hygiene and/or laboratory safety procedures
- Comply with all lab procedures, processes, and methodologies
- Additional duties as assigned
- Meet CAP/CLIA requirements for high-complexity testing: An earned bachelor’s degree in a chemical or biological science or medical laboratory technology, obtained from an accredited institution, OR equivalent training and experience
- Ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion
- Accuracy and close attention to detail
- Excellent motor skills, hand-eye coordination, ability to maintain repetitive motion tasks with tolerance and stamina
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Able to easily understand complex instructions, both verbally and in writing
- Excellence in maintaining safe work habits regarding use of sharps and laboratory reagents.
- Able to maintain confidentiality consistent with HIPAA
- Excellent computer skills including: Microsoft Office Suite, Laboratory Information Systems
- Adhere to correct procedures, policies and health/safety guidelines
- Varied work environment with standing, sitting, and walking, able to stand on feet, bend, and move through shift; frequent lifting/carrying of objects up to 25 lbs.
- Shift work may include evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and extended shifts
Community / Marketing Title: Grossing Technologist
Unified Women’s Healthcare is a company dedicated to caring for Ob-Gyn providers who care for others, be they physicians or their support staff. A team of like-minded professionals with significant business and healthcare experience, we operate with a singular mindset - great care needs great care. We take great pride in not just speaking about this, but executing on it.
As a company, our mission is to be an indispensable source of business knowledge, innovation and support to the practices in our network. We are advocates for our Ob-Gyn medical affiliates – enabling them to focus solely on the practice of medicine while we focus on the business of medicine.
We are action oriented. We strategize, implement and execute – on behalf of the practices we serve.
Remote Opportunity: 0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package that includes health/dental/life/STD/LTD/vision insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) plan. This company is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.