Location: Tampa, Florida US
Job Number: 1254
Position Title: Histotechnologist
Florida Woman Care, the largest OB/GYN practice in the state of Florida has built a state of the art CAP accredited lab in the Tampa area with specialists in GYN Pathology to produce the highest quality of diagnosis of laboratory specimens.
We currently have over 175 medical offices and over 550 OBGYN Providers throughout the state of Florida.
We are seeking experienced Histotechnologists to join the Histology division which will include, histochemical, immunohistochemical and in-situ hybridization assays. This position will work from 1:30PM to 10:00PM.
Histotechnicians and histotechnologists play a fundamental role on the laboratory team. This position is responsible for cutting, staining and preparing tissue samples for the pathologist to review. Two (2) years’ recent experience in a high-volume histopathology laboratory is preferred. A successful candidate is responsible for prioritizing testing procedures and completing those procedures in an accurate and timely manner while maintaining accurate records in accordance with established policies, procedures and regulations.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for handling specimens, processing tests, analyzing tests, and reporting and maintaining records of patient results
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or slides and affixes coverslip to slides
- Trains or directs Laboratory Assistants engaged in histopathology specimen processing
- Embeds tissue specimens in correct orientation at an average rate of 45-60 blocks per hour
- Performs microtomy at an average rate of 35-40 blocks per hour of correct thickness with minimal cutting artifact
- Performs routine H&E stain according to written protocol
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist
- Exercises independent judgment in dealing with procedural and technical problems
- Recognizes and corrects inferior stain quality using knowledge of staining procedures
- Follow the laboratory’s established corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance
- Document all corrective actions taken when systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s QC policies, and document all QC activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed
- Maintain records that demonstrate that PT samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples
- Maintains laboratory, equipment, and documentation in a state of readiness for accreditation/licensing/safety inspections
- operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment, glassware, instruments, and workstation
- Follow all health and safety regulations when handling laboratory specimens
- Comply with chemical hygiene and/or laboratory safety procedures
- Comply with all lab procedures, processes, and methodologies
- Additional duties as assigned
- AA or AS degree OR equivalent training and experience (24 hours of non-entry level chemistry/biology courses) required
- Successful completion of an accredited histology program preferred
- Ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion
- Accuracy and close attention to detail
- Excellent motor skills, hand-eye coordination, ability to maintain repetitive motion tasks with tolerance and stamina
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Able to easily understand complex instructions, both verbally and in writing
- Able to maintain confidentiality consistent with HIPAA
- Excellent computer skills including: Microsoft Office Suite, Laboratory Information Systems
- Adhere to correct procedures, policies and health/safety guidelines
- Prolonged periods of standing are necessary, able to stand on feet, bend, and move through shift; frequent lifting/carrying of objects up to 25 lbs.
- Shift work may include evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and extended shifts
Community / Marketing Title: Histotechnician/Histotechnologist
Unified Women’s Healthcare is a company dedicated to caring for Ob-Gyn providers who care for others, be they physicians or their support staff. A team of like-minded professionals with significant business and healthcare experience, we operate with a singular mindset - great care needs great care. We take great pride in not just speaking about this, but executing on it.
As a company, our mission is to be an indispensable source of business knowledge, innovation and support to the practices in our network. We are advocates for our Ob-Gyn medical affiliates – enabling them to focus solely on the practice of medicine while we focus on the business of medicine.
We are action oriented. We strategize, implement and execute – on behalf of the practices we serve.
Remote Opportunity: 0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package that includes health/dental/life/STD/LTD/vision insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) plan. This company is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.