Location: Morrisville, North Carolina US
Job Number: 1140
Position Title: Lab Assistant
The Laboratory Assistant will work in cytology slide preparation and perform various support activities for the assigned laboratory departments including specimen receipt and triage, specimen processing, ordering and stocking of materials, cleaning, disinfecting, and maintaining laboratory workspace and equipment.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Receive and process specimens consistent with specimen requirements for testing including positive patient identification, appropriate specimen collection container and specimen transport requirements
- Identify and accurately label specimens and distribute them to the appropriate testing area
- Prepare equipment and work space for specimen testing
- Perform equipment maintenance and document activities
- Communicate specimen or laboratory equipment non-conformities or malfunctions to technical staff and/or laboratory leadership
- Troubleshoot equipment issues with the instrument manufacturer, providing updates and seeking guidance from the department supervisor when necessary
- Organize and maintain lab specimen storage
- Organize and monitor lab supplies for appropriate inventory levels as directed by laboratory leadership and Communicate required supplies to department supervisor
- Clean and maintain work area and all lab equipment and supplies
- Follow all health and safety regulations when handling laboratory specimens
- Comply with chemical hygiene and/or laboratory safety procedures
- Comply with all lab procedures, processes, and methodologies
- Assists all technical laboratory staff and leadership with additional duties as needed
- Perform clerical and administrative duties as needed
Essential Job Functions:
- Receive and Process Specimens
- Identify and accurately label specimens and distribute them to appropriate testing areas
- Organize Lab specimen storage and supplies
- Clean and maintain work area and lab equipment
- Assist all technical lab staff and leadership with additional duties as needed
Additional Job Functions:
- Participate in meetings
- Attend staff meetings and applicable training
- Complete special projects
- High school degree or equivalent required; Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in science, life science, medical technology, mathematics, chemistry, or related field preferred.
- Experience with Cytology specialties is preferred
- 2 years’ experience as a lab assistant or relevant experience in a lab is preferred
State: North Carolina
Community / Marketing Title: Laboratory Assistant
Unified Women’s Healthcare is a company dedicated to caring for Ob-Gyn providers who care for others, be they physicians or their support staff. A team of like-minded professionals with significant business and healthcare experience, we operate with a singular mindset - great care needs great care. We take great pride in not just speaking about this, but executing on it.
As a company, our mission is to be an indispensable source of business knowledge, innovation and support to the practices in our network. We are advocates for our Ob-Gyn medical affiliates – enabling them to focus solely on the practice of medicine while we focus on the business of medicine.
We are action oriented. We strategize, implement and execute – on behalf of the practices we serve.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package that includes health/dental/life/STD/LTD/vision insurance, paid time off, and 401(k) plan. This company is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.